Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Would it hurt you?

A reader recently pointed out something that has perplexed me for some time now. We all live in this building together and, while I don't think it should be policy (yet), it might be nice if we all got in the habit of smiling at one another when we meet.

I realize that some of us might have had a rough day, perhaps you're shy or new to this city and you're just finding your way, hell, maybe you're just a creep, but would it hurt you to take a moment to greet your neighbor with a smile once in a while?

It's just rude to act as if the person standing 18 inches from you doesn't exist. Burying yourself in your phone or i-pod is equally rude. Dude, do you really need to strap your pod on for the ride from the lobby to your floor? Excuse me Miss, I realize that you're the Queen of Tweets, but must you let the world know about your new ladybug boots at this very moment?

Maybe some of you folks are just plain ignorant or anti-social, and in a building of this size, heck we may even have one or two serial killers in the bunch...for those of you that fall into those categories...carry on...but for the rest of you, when you see a fellow resident walking down the hall, at the elevator, or in the garage, why not give them a pleasant, non-mental patient smile. You may be pleasantly surprised. You may even make someones day!

9 comments:

  1. Smiling is a good thing I'll try to do better.

    I was out to dinner with some folks and i mentioned that i say hi to people when walking the streets of DC and they were pretty suprised by this.

    One of our comrads was moving in and i stopped to help him get some stuff unloaded from the truck and carry it to the elevator and he thanked me and said "your not from around here are you?" I said why no I'm not.

    It's the culture of the east coast I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nim,
    I'm from around here and I'm not sure I understand that, nor do I like that perception. ;)

    Also, remember that most of the folks around here are NOT from around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point Jefferson. A little eye contact and smile, maybe even hi would be a nice thing to do/say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of nice things...how awesome is it that the morning papers are now delivered right to your apartment door?! I'm pretty sure it's the night concierge who does this; please thank him and smile when you see him in the AM.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed that. How very cool. And a "Thank you" would be a nice gesture from those receiving their paper at their door. We could all use more of those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow..people just have to complain about something, don't they. Crazy...next can we all wipe our feet when we come inside as not to dirty the lobby floors. Glass is half-full!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent idea about wiping ones feet before entering Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The floors seems to be dirty because of wind blowing trash in, from what I can tell.

    ReplyDelete