Monday, December 20, 2010

Dust Dilema

Proposed post question from Nimrod,
 
The question is one about dust.  I have an unusual amount of dust in my small one-bedroom apartment.  At times I can write my name in the dust on my end tables.  I have been doing some things to combat this and I still have a great deal of dust. 
 
I try to dust and vacuum every week. When I first moved in and for at least 8 months my vacuum canister  would completely fill up with dust and carpet fibers every time I vacuumed.  I now get about a half full canister per vacuum.
  
I change my furnace filter regularly and use a good hypoallergenic one instead of the cheap fiberglass ones the building folks use. 
 
In addition I only run the heating and cooling briefly in the morning and evening and shut it off during the day and night.  I live alone and leave for days and sometimes weeks at a time with the heating and cooling off.  I never open a window and I never drag dirt or dust into the apartment. I do not have any pets. 
 
I have checked out the dryer and it is vented properly and that little room is the most dust free room in the apartment.  
 
The only explanation for the incredible amounts of dust is that the building air intake is bringing it in (perhaps laced with the fine power plant emmitients next door) and/or the very cheap carpet is creating the dust situation.
 
Anyone else having an issue with large amounts of dust? 
 
Nimrod    

3 comments:

  1. Our vaccuum gets plugged up with the carpet remnants all the time and our place is dusty as well.

    I knew the carpet was cheap but hadn't really thought about the dust coming from the power plant next door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ventilation in these units is horrible-notice all the smoke alarms always going off? And the carpet is super cheap and fibers are always accumulating. Its just a poorly built building with bad materials in the units.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have much of a dust problem(other than the carpet filling up the vacuum cleaner), but the air circulation has gotten worse and feels stuffy in the apartment. I think the building ducts need to be cleaned and I have mentioned it to maintenance. They said it is not necessary at this point since the building is new.

    ReplyDelete