Monday, October 25, 2010

Introducing our moderator

I want to take a moment to introduce and to give thanks to Rivers Lamb who has generously offered to moderate the first tenants meeting. I think we'll need some order at least during this first meeting to avoid some confusion. So without further adieu...
 
My name is Rivers Lamb, and I'm going to be facilitating the discussion on November 3rd.
First, a little bit about me. I'm an Associate Branch Head at NASA in Greenbelt, MD. In that role, I'm responsible for a group of about 25 software developers and software engineers. I graduated from Virginia Tech with a degree in aerospace engineering, and I really enjoy running – I ran the Army Ten-Miler this weekend. I love being in powerful conversations with people, and my training in that area comes from several years of work with a company called Landmark Education. I have been living in the Jefferson building since May, when I moved into the city from Columbia, MD.
Now, a little bit about this discussion. I will not be taking sides in the debate, or determining winners and losers in the argument. I will take what may seem to be an unusual approach, viewing management and tenants as two parts of the same team. My intention is to have the two parties working together powerfully and effectively to make an apartment building a great place to live – a purpose that suits both parties' needs. First and foremost, that requires that folks be willing to listen and really hear the concerns of others. I will be listening for what people are committed to having in living in this building. We'll see where that leads us!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rivers, and thanks for stepping up. I think you're absolutely right that we have to find solutions that work for both residents AND management. Trying to do anything else would just be a waste of precious time and energy. Looking forward to working with you.

    ReplyDelete