Monday, October 11, 2010

Blog Clog

Dear Readers:

The last few days there has been quite a bit of anger, frustration and charged words expressed through this blog.

It has always been my intention to provide a forum for tenants to express their feelings, good and bad, about living at the Jefferson. For obvious reasons I wish to remain anonymous. For the same reasons, this blog offers those posting to it the same opportunity to remain anonymous.

Obviously I don’t make any money, gain any real power, or receive any benefits by maintaining this blog. I have nothing to gain by the creation of this blog except a better living situation for fellow tenants and myself. It works by a simple premise—giving a voice to the people that live in this building, strength in numbers!


In maintaining this blog I don’t sway opinion by the inclusion or the omission of posts or of peoples ideas. For the most part I am like a game show host tossing out ideas, questions, and information. The posts then take on a life of their own. I don’t really care what the points of view of the posts are, that’s not my concern. What I do care about is that management is hearing the voice of the tenants, and in lieu of that, that the tenants at least hear each other’s voice.

It is not my intention to create descent, anarchy, anger or any other negative outcome through this blog. With that in mind I feel we should all take a deep breath and begin to take a forward-reaching approach toward rectifying the resident discontent that apparently exists in great amounts.


So where are we?

There appears to be a group in the building who want to address tenant concerns directly with management. They might be a good starting point. Melanie has expressed on this blog that she encourages tenants to create a residents association, and a willingness to meet with them if the exchange is respectful and mutual. I think those are reasonable terms.

Melanie, I hope you will assist those folks that step forward with creating a workable system. It can’t happen without your cooperation. I also want to encourage the resident group to be reasonable and non-confrontational, but I’m sure none of this will be a problem.

There have been many people posting on the site that they would be willing to be part of a tenant group. So it looks like all that is left to do is find someone to organize the interested parties and schedule a regular meeting time with Melanie. I would suggest giving it a couple of weeks to solicit a good representation of resident concerns and prospective volunteers.


The Salt in the Wound

One of the issues that raised the greatest deal of ire is the perceived lack of customer service from the front office. It shouldn’t be hard for management to understand that the residents don’t feel respected during their dealings with the entire staff of the Jefferson and Axiom. If there is some lack of clarity in understanding their concerns, simply read this blog.

I’m sure that managing a large apartment building has its challenges and certainly its thankless moments, but I’m sure you’ll agree that a large part of their job is customer service. I have to believe that if management devotes the greatest amount of their attention to pleasing the building’s tenants, that all of their other duties will be infinitely easier.


Melanie, in your letter to this blog you wrote:


Redacted: See posts below:

I've redacted the gray text below because a reader has pointed out that I got the gist of Melanie's comment wrong and I agree with the reader.


There is currently a posting on the blog that talks about the safety of the neighborhood. So we have a hard time understanding those that are concerned about the safety of the neighborhood but feel like our guest policy is too stringent.


It’s subtle, but I think this statement is very exemplary as to how people feel toward management. In this statement you seem to be saying that according to the posts tenants are making, we feel it’s safe in the neighborhood, yet we’re worried that the sign-in policy doesn’t keep us protected well enough. Is that a correct reading of your comment?


It seems as if you’re saying that people don’t know what they’re talking about. May I suggest to you that tenant feedback not be met with by questions or excuses? In customer service the customer is always right. Right? Ultimately this is an issue of respect and when people feel disrespected you can certainly appreciate that they might become very angry.


Updated text:

What I was trying to say, albeit having it back-ass-wards and expressing it inadequately, was that there is a feeling, at least amongst the people I hear from, and from those that post here, is that management, and in particular Melanie, either ignores them, explains away their concerns, or gives an excuse. I also should mention that I am not basing this just on anecdotal information, as I have had a wide range of experiences with Melanie going from good to bad.


I would also like to mention that I have nothing personal against Melanie, or anyone else in management, and that my impression of her during our interaction has mostly been favorable, and I have no axe to grind, so this is not pick on Melanie time.


When you're in charge though, you receive the majority of the negative attention, deserved or unjust, and the readers of this blog, or should I say some of them, unload on her regularly. I would point out that, as Melanie also mentioned, many of her detractors may just be disgruntled. That is certainly a possibility.


Safety vs. Perceived Safety

The sign-in policy at the desk has created the most anger in the shortest period of time than any other issue I have come across on the blog. There are a number of people on both sides of this issue and nobody is wrong. The implementation of this policy was in part due to some violent altercations in the building perpetrated by tenant’s guests and, if memory serves me, an outsider on one occasion.


There are those that feel that simply having a concierge at the desk taking ID and the names of visitors isn’t a real safety measure. At best it only creates the “perception” that “something” is happening to protect the residents and that’s not the same thing as “being” safe. I am personally glad that there is at least some sort of policy in place, but I have to admit, I don’t think the measures implemented are adequate. Was this policy put in place after some real thought? Was it conceived in the rental office or planned by a professional specializing in building security? That’s something that all buildings, especially in this city, need to consider. We live in a new era. Think back a month to the Discovery building being taken hostage by one disgruntled person. So there needs to be some measure of real security in the building. I suggest hiring a building security professional to assess the situation.


There are an equal number of folks in the building who feel that the policy works and that the amount of intrusion on personal liberty is minimal and worth it. It really only takes a moment to show ID and sign your guests in. Certainly the amount of time it takes isn’t worth spoiling your day.

Those opposing the policy also feel that they are being treated like children or are being made to pay for the actions of a few bad apples. Those supporting the policy feel that if that’s what it takes, so be it.


That’s the crux of the matter. We need to have some resolution to these problems and we need to have an ongoing dialogue. Above all, tenants want a voice! It’s time they had one and saw some tangible results.

-TJ

24 comments:

  1. TJ, you wrote:
    "In this statement you seem to be saying that according to the posts tenants are making, we feel it’s safe in the neighborhood, yet we’re worried that the sign-in policy doesn’t keep us protected well enough."

    I think you have it completely backwards. I think Melanie was saying that people have voiced concerns about the safety of the neighborhood, yet complain about the sign-in policy for being over-the-top. Fair point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I see. you're right.
    Thank you SL

    I wanted to get this letter out quickly because I have been receiving so much feedback lately. It's surprised me quite a bit. But what I was trying to illustrate (however inelloquent) was that people's concerns are often meet with either an excuse or silence.

    I think I'll need to correct the post, but I'll leave in the redacted text.

    Thank you once again for writing SL

    ReplyDelete
  3. TJ, Thank you for your post. I am the person who questioned whether all the posts made it to the blog and am reassured now that any which don't is a technical error rather than screening. Thanks for clearing it up.

    As a former board member in a federal union within government, I have seen my share of situations in which conflicts result from bad management decisions/practices and bad decisions/behavior on the part of employees. Never does responsibility always lie with one party or the other. Compromise is important. In this spirit, I would like to offer my time to represent resident concerns, either for the 5th floor, or just in general.

    Because I have limited time right now, I cannot organize the effort myself, but am happy to share my email with anyone who does step up to do so. TJ - is it okay for me to send you my email to Capyards@gmail and you can pass it on should someone volunteer to organize a tenant group? I still haven't figured out how to associate a name to my posts, so I guess I will sign off as 5th Floor from now on to ID myself.

    -5th Floor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear 5th floor.
    Thank you for your post. You may always feel free to contact me via the capyards@gmail.com email for whatever reason.

    I would be happy to collect anyone's email address for any future tenant association purposes.

    You can be assured that your information will remain private and used only for those purposes.
    Thanks,
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any word on management organizing a tenant meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 120 votes on the poll. I presume then we'll be hearing from all these people who support the ID policy in particular? Seems to be an overwhelming response on the poll compared to the responses on the blog. Would love to hear from these people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like someone might have an itchy poll finger. :)
    I must admit though, checking out the stats on this blog blew me away. There are more than 600 pages views a day on this blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmmm....it does seem a little unlikely that the votes doubled since I checked last night though. Any chance you can see the IP address of the voters?

    ReplyDelete
  9. TJ,
    Negative on organizing. It's not my job to organize a tenant meeting - that is managements job. I am officially requesting a meeting in hopes that management will actually coordinate one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha yeah, and with 10,759 page views you'd think management WOULD do something and address this, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. HouseMother, you're a suspicious one. No I cannot see their IP address and I wouldn't want to if I could.
    It's not exactly a scientific poll, it's just for fun and curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Right there with you HouseMother!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two reasons for the high number of poll responses/blog views:
    1. The building tenants are looking at this blog as one of the few ways to get the ball rolling on changes.
    2. The owner of the very popular--and widely read--JD Land blog about Near Southeast ran the link to this blog on her twitter feed just yesterday.

    Now to jump into the fray (and perhaps to offer some perspective):

    Since moving into JCY a few months ago and subsequently reading this blog, the largest problem with building management is two fold: 1. Ms. Martin and Greystar and staff are reactive rather than proactive to problems.
    2. They have lost all credibilty.

    For the first topic: the sign-in policy was created as a reaction to problems rather than a policy from the start which would have been proactive and may have prevented problems to begin with. Also: the post from mgmt about a tenant meeting was in reaction to the earlier post about creating a tenant group, rather than creating a tenant group months ago when the blog was running a litany of building issues.

    As far as credibilty goes: Example A: The dog policy is 50lbs unless it's not, which applies to some people in the building (as a side note: I have no problems with larger dogs; it's often the little ones that make the most noise). Example B: Alcohol on the roof. While it's written as a rule, it wasn't enforced until years after the building was opened. Example C: the sign in policy is enforced on an arbitrary basis and not uniformly across concierges.

    When you have no credibility, it's very hard/impossible to create policies that everyone will heed and follow. I ask that you take a deep breath, swallow your pride, admit some mistakes and wipe the slate clean and work with residents to create a working set of rules and regulations. Lastly, I believe it will go a long, long, way if you have new tenants sign leases and then have your sales staff introduce the new leasees to Michelle and others as a way of handing tenants off. Since the majority of us only dealt/saw one salesperson during the tour/leasing period, people assume that's who they should always go to for problems and solutions.

    One last suggestion: you have a building that's more than 95% leased with close to 1,000 people living in it. Reduce your sales staff and expand your building management staff; I think a weekend doorman is a tremendous first step.

    I say this as someone who actually has had no problems with the building and have good interactions with staff, but I am concerned where the nature of tenants' dissatisfaction may lead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent post elevator voice. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. An adendum: apologies to Melanie for calling her Michelle in the post above and Melanie if you do read this and would like help and/or suggestions, please post in the comments. I'm more than willing to get involved and to help get the ball rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that the best way for management to solicit feedback at this point(aside from this blog) would be to have an open, building-wide meeting in the pub room. Those interested in being involved could get their faces out there and interact in a civil (no alcohol at this meeting, of course!) manner, find out what management is open to, and proceed from there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that's a great idea Snake.
    Melanie, what do you think? Could you set up a building-wide tenant meeting? Volunteers could sign up at there.

    Might make my job obsolete!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi all - I was on the verge of applying for an apartment at the Jefferson when I saw a link to this page on apartment finders. I've read through a ton of posts and I'm on the fence.

    On one hand, I'm a reasonable person, and every living situation has its issues. I've paid the high rent for the old, mouse infested/leaky roof cap hill apartments, and I wanted the newer building with new appliances, etc. On the other hand, I don't want to wake up every night to loud partying or live in a place that reeks of dogs.

    I'd just like some honest feedback - should I live here? I'm okay with hearing some loud noise on occasion, and I don't hate dogs, but if it's overwhelming, I'd like to know. (FYI - moving back to DC from another state and have to do this site unseen).

    Thanks for any help!
    - On the fence

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just understand that any apartment building in this area that markets itself as "luxury" is really just a normal, newly constructed building trying to stand out. True luxury buildings don't have to advertise as such; it's evident from the rent.

    As far as noise goes, I can't give an objective opinion because we currently live in quite possibly the worst spot in the entire building. This is also a subjective thing... some people just aren't bothered by noise (from other tenants, the building, or outside noises).

    Being affected by parties is largely dependent on who your immediate neighbors are, and this is random. Some people will have it worse than others. It would appear that this building has a higher concentration of partiers due to the lower rent and the number of complaints, but I haven't had any problems.

    The appliances and finishes are fairly pedestrian, but we've had no problems with them other than the laminate floors being cheap and scuffing easily.

    Were we to do it all over again, with the benefit of this blog, we wouldn't have even applied. We're here now, and given the hassle of moving, if the quality of the community increases (let's be honest, at this point it has nowhere to go but up in the eyes of many of us) and the rent stays reasonable, we're inclined to stay another year.

    On a side note, are all the outlets in every unit upside-down? It is a minor inconvenience, but I'm really baffled by this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Snakegriffin, good points, I concur on most.

    I also hate the upside-down outlets. Strange.

    I agree, I wouldn't have moved in if I had seen this blog. Wherever you move there is bound to be noise in some way shape or form, but its more so the management here that doesn't properly engage the community or address issues - for this, my living experience has been pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the feedback. I'll sit on this for another day and look elsewhere. Trouble is, i'm short on time, and there aren't many good options in DC right now. Just need a place for about a year before I buy something and stop the vicious cycle of forking over my whole paycheck to DC landlords.

    Anyhow, you all know how that goes. Thanks again.
    - On the fence

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous at 11:20am.

    Where are you looking? Happy to give you some options.

    ReplyDelete
  23. In terms of a place to rent? I'm open to anything--ideally, cap hill, columbia heights, adams morgan, glover park, friendship heights. Even nice area i haven't heard about. 1 bed, ideally below $1700 but can go higher depending on what's included (i.e. utilites, pool/gym, etc.)

    Thanks for offering to help w/ options!

    ReplyDelete