Friday, November 12, 2010

A worthy cause

Dear Axiom and Jefferson residents, 

I am writing this e-mail to draw your attention to an important matter. I appreciate any and all of your support. I am reaching out  in regards to a cleaning lady who works in the building. Her name is Marisol. She has been working cleaning this building since the Axiom opened its doors. She is an extremely hard worker from El Salvador. Marisol fractured her arm two weeks ago. In the interim she had a replacement. Marisol is contracted through a company called Beltway, so she in not a Greystar Axiom employee. When she came to return to work after her arm had somewhat healed she was fired by the new Property Manager, Nicole Williams. Marisol's contract company notified her that the Axiom did not want her to return. She was given no explanation and because her English is not good she could not fight or defend herself. She called me for help. I went down this Monday to the leasing office demanding some answers. I was told it was none of my business and this was a business management decision. I argued that you cannot just fire somebody without a just reason. I have contacted the contract company Beltway, and they have had more compassion. I spoke with the owner and manager there. He said they are trying to place Marisol somewhere else, but that currently nothing is available and the soonest may not be until December. Marisol has hospital bills to pay for from her injured arm, and now has zero income. She is in a very bad situation. I wanted to bring this matter up first and foremost to the community and to ask for your support. I have been in contact with Talib, as he has been an instrumental leader in helping to regulate and inform us on so many issues. Taib and I will continue to work and obviously fight hard on this matter. 

I will be doing everything I can on my part following up with Beltway to see if Marisol can and will be placed somewhere else sooner than later. In the meantime here's what you can do to help:

If you would like to hire Marisol and have your apartment cleaned please contact me and I can set that up for you. She would do an excellent job and obviously this would help her to get by for the time being. Also, I am accepting any donation you may have to help her out. No donation is too small. You may email me at vanessa.camozzi@gmail.com or drop it in an envelope at my door, or at the front desk if you wish. Please just call or e-mail me and let me know so that I can look out for it. Thank you all very much. Please do not hesitate to contact me. I know that we are all extremely busy with our personal lives, but I ask for your  compassion and to really help someone in serious need.

18 comments:

  1. Would you be able to post he cleaning rates? We are in a 1 bedroom at the Jefferson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the long run, this woman is better off. Likely that Greystar Management underpaid and overworked her, all the while clearly not appreciating her. This management company is awful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we please have an open post AGAIN about the elevators?

    I overhear there were cameras being installed? Is this the case? If so, I'd like to be informed. Management NOT informing us is just, well, creepy!

    Additionally, when will these elevators be fixed? It's been about a month now, and the signs that are still up have been up for weeks. What's the update? What's going on? Can someone from the management office please update us???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who was the contact at the Beltway company? I'll send them a message expressing how poorly managed these buildings are. I did hear that the other building got a new manager -- can the Jefferson please get a new one? Also hear that the 909 building had a tenant group -- anyone have any information on who runs that? The three buildings should really coordinate and bring a solid case for better/new management to the Greystar executives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The original comment said she is not a Greystar employee so whoever wrote that management underpaid her is an idiot because they don't pay her. She works for Beltway, they pay her. Why don't you fully make sure you read and understand before posting so you know what you are talking about.

    Why do people keep saying elevators with an s? It's my understanding only 1 doesn't work?????

    And if you all hate the managers and company you have the option to move. Stop crying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elevators are annoying, but I'd rather have them wait until they get the permits renewed and whatever is wrong fixed then have a faulty elevator, even though I find it hard to fathom how it can take this long to get the situation fixed.

    As far as the cleaning lady...it makes no sense to get all worked up about this because only half of the story is being played out on the internet.

    Secondly, if you're going to post here, please pick a handle. It's annoying as a reader to see everyone post as 'Anon'. Don't tell me you can't figure it out, you're all pretty tech saavy.

    Finally, I think the building has calmed down quite a bit, despite huge parties in the Pub Room just about every weekend. I've yet to hear about or see any of the shenanigans that transpired earlier this year. It could be the weather or it could be management. Kudos to all for helping keep things calm lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your thoughts, StoptheInsanity.

    If I can't put up with the incompetence of management, I'll be sure to stop by the leasing office and let them know I "have the option to move." I'm sure they will be happy to release me from my lease.

    If you are unhappy with management's customer service, here are some Greystar contact's that were provided by a commenter in another thread:

    Greystar Regional Manager: Patty Holt (pholt@greystar.com)

    Greystar Executive Director of Management: Stacy Hunt (shunt@greystar.com)

    Greystar COO: Bill Maddux (bmaddux@greystar.com)

    Greystar CEO: Bob Faith (bfaith@greystar.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's sad that the woman was let go, and there have been many comments on the blog about how much we here at the Jefferson like our building service folks, so it's unfortunate for the folks at the Axiom.

    A concern struck me as I read a pretty hostile response from Stoptheinsanity. That response was really aggressive and we should look to post comments that perhaps frustration, but not towards each other. We're trying to work together on a resolution here, not against each other.

    Third, we do need to have management address the elevator situation. I did see a number of folks working on the elevators last week, and I asked when the elevator would be fixed - they replied and said that they were installing cameras. So I am concerned that the elevator still is broken (with no update from management) as well as concerned that there are cameras being installed and we as tenants aren't being informed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anyone else think StoptheInsanity's posting has the same poorly-thought-out and poorly-written qualities of Management's postings around the building? Just saying, who would come on this blog to rage against residents like that? It's probably just one of the many, many residents that are thrilled with Management's performance and want to go out of their way to show their enthusiastic support.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually spoke with one of the building maintence staff over the weekend and he told me he wasn't authorized to speak about the elevator, for what it's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I support video cameras in the elevator (if true) I definitely don't understand why this hasn't been brought up by management. If this is how they're going to spend their budget, instead of listening to the residents and implementing preventative rather than reactive policies, these shenanigans will keep me from re-signing my lease.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stoptheinsanity. How about you get back to trying to manage our building and stop inserting yourself as an alias on the community blog. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are the poll results in? What now?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want to reiterate what Tricky Ricky said about choosing a "handle" when you comment to a thread. Come on folks! It makes it a lot easier for everyone to comment on specific posts if you spend 20 seconds to think up a clever (or not so clever)name.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Come on people, just because someone disagrees with your viewpoint does not make them management. Given the anonymous nature of the blog, it is impossible to make that kind of judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good point Snake, but this has been going on for a long time. They would also write on the ApartmentRatings.com site. The things they would post were so comical that it couldn't be anyone else. Straight from their brochure. LOL!!

    I'm with Housemother and DFT on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How about new chairs for the pubroom in front of the tv?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anony at 6:15. How about new management for the building?

    ReplyDelete