Friday, July 16, 2010

24 Hour Party People

It's been brought to my attention that Friday night there were, once again, a couple of large and really loud parties on the roof. I'd hate to see the access to our lovely rooftop limited further because of a few clueless tenants that really don't care about management's posted or stated rules, or the peaceful aims of other residents in the building.

I happened to have gotten home late Friday night and, exhausted, I lay down in my bed. Mind you, I'm quite a few floors from the roof, but as I lay there I heard all kinds of screaming and yelling--louder than I've ever heard before-- but I couldn't quite tell where the noise was coming from. Was it from the loud-talker next door? Could it be the new tenant upstairs doing construction again? Maybe it's a gaggle of dog walkers coming in after their dog's late night constitutional? Could it really have been coming from the roof? Why of course it was! After all this is the Jefferson.

So what happened to the restricted number of guests on the roof rule? This was reiterated in a note from management only a week or two ago. So where is the follow through? Management can't continue to simply issue mandates and not enforce them. What's the point? No one is even here in the evening to enforce them. What makes you think the less considerate tenants in the building are going to abide by rules when they know no one will be watching? It's silly! Couldn't we get one of those crotchety, old building supers in the building to keep things at a dull roar at night? Better yet, how about a cop!

We are lucky enough to have a rooftop with extraordinary views, and indeed the view is one of the buildings selling points, but what good are they if most of the tenants can't enjoy them? I know I have stopped going up there long ago. It's not worth it. You bring a friend up to enjoy the views and you are bombarded by loud, drunken idiots screaming, cursing, and generally acting stupid.

The limited number of guests rule, if not being ignored outright, is being circumvented by groups in the building that either live together or party together. If they want to "play by the rules" they simply each invite a couple guests and Viola! a party. Step outside on a Friday or Saturday night and you'll see the "glitterati" lining up to get into the doors, 12-packs of Bud light in hand, the evening crackling with energy. It's not hard to tell when there is going to be another loud night ahead.

Perhaps management needs to speak with the concierge about this issue again. I certainly don't expect them to endanger themselves, (we all know the drunken idiots here are inclined to fight and bust the place up) but they might help devise a strategy along with management to limit this activity. I'm sure they are overwhelmed every weekend by the party people, but are these "guests" being checked in at the door? If so, is the policy being enforced?

Here's another access point; the garage. If you come in a car there is no check in at the desk thus making it easy to bring in an unlimited number of guests. The doors on the P2 parking level, elevator one, often do not close all the way either which may also allow strangers in the building. (BTW, the smell outside that door is heinous.)

Ultimately what I suspect is happening is that there are such a large number of Capital Hill staffers (and I know you are not all bad) in the building who socialize regularly and extend their parties to our roof. I know because I have seen them, half drunk in the bars on Pennsylvania avenue. Next stop? Why the roof at the Jefferson of course!

4 comments:

  1. Bud Light? No way - most of these kids are lining up at the door with Natty Ice, which is the drink of choice for the recently graduated and now gainfully employed crowd. We really haven't even bothered to use the rooftop since we moved in last month due to the crowds that congregate there on the weekend. If I recall correctly, you can reserve/rent some of the rooftop spaces, but taking them over for free and having your own party is expressly prohibited. i.e., if you haven't paid to reserve, the one guest per resident rule applies. Will have to double-check this, though.

    My most recent complaint is a "squeaky wheel" noise that's been polluting my apartment non-stop for the last few weeks. It wasn't present when we moved in, and now it's starting to cause me headaches due to the constant annoyance. The source of this is one of the garage doors, which is somehow echoing the sound through the fan vents into the apartment. When I put in a service request, it was "completed" the next day, with nary a note to explain what they did. Sure enough, the noise is still quite present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natty Ice??? Even worse! That's not even made in Baltimore anymore. It's fake Natty Boh.

    Isn't the fan in your bathroom and incredible thing? It's like a freakin Victrola!

    Mine lets me know when a police sirens rolls by amplifying the sound directly to my bedroom. Can you say motorcade?

    I think if maintenance is going to fix it it might have to be up on the roof where the outlets are. That or put a baffle in the fan area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice assumption that all the problems must be from Cap Hill staffers cuz you've "seen them"...clearly we must be wearing our badges on our bathing suits or have a scarlet CH on our chests. While I agree with the annoyance of the parties (and I briefly walked through last night's), lets not be presumptious about who is holding these events.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were it only an “assumption” or “presumption” I think your protestation would carry more weight, but it’s not. It's funny that you mention “we staffers must be wearing our badges on our bathing suits or have a scarlet CH on our chests." I also find it amusing that you “briefly walked through” the party.

    If you have lived in DC all your life as I have, and maybe you have, you would know that the newbie staffers talk ad infinitum about what congressman they work for, AND they do so at beer soaked volumes every where they go. As I mentioned, I have literally been elbow to elbow in some of the local watering holes with some of the very people whom I have seen commandeer the rooftop here at the Jefferson and I have heard their inane conversations as well. Such conversation IS their scarlet letter.

    Over the years I have gained much experience watching staffers, who roll into town from all points on the map, to use DC as their spring break. It sometimes gets sickening to someone who calls DC home, but like the yearly onset of tourists, locals have come to expect it. I hope that people coming to DC from other parts of the country know that there are local residents that actually take pride in their hometown just as many of you do who come from your hometowns. I have noted a lot of disrespect to DC from out-of-towners over the years, and I suspect I know some of their “reasoning” too!

    I have on many occasions pulled them of the roof of my previous townhouse, drunk, smashing bottles, and urinating everywhere. On one occasion I pulled two naked and drunk staffers shagging off my roof at 3 in the morning. I have stepped over their puke in my vestibule on Monday morning as I left my building for work, and I have seen the drunken damage they have done to the neighborhood. So please don’t tell me about being presumptuous. I have put up with it for years.

    I did however; make the caveat that it wasn't all staffers. To those whom this doesn't apply, you know who you are. However, I will reiterate my caveat...the problem is not from all the staffers in the building, nor is it ONLY staffers. There is student population in the building also who add to the buildings weekend charm.

    I do understand that with youth there can be a degree of unintentional, albeit oblivious, selfishness. But if you’re old enough to come to the big city and work an important job, then you’re old enough to understand that this building houses many different types of people who see this as their home and you should respect that. This is NOT a frat house or dorm!

    BTW. If the commenter is a staffer and you also find the party atmosphere “annoying” and you’re not contributing to it, then you have very little to protest about. As I said, this is not solely a problem with any one type of resident, but I DO understand where a large part of it comes from.

    ReplyDelete