Saturday, January 9, 2010

Are you at "Home" in your apartment?

I've been kind of lazy in terms of making my apartment a "Home." It's sort of "Modern Transitional" right now. That is, I'm not entirely sure I want to be here this time next year so most of my stuff is unpacked, but a lot of it isn't. I don't want to have to just pack it all up all over again when my lease runs out.

The primary motivator of my indecision is the ballooning rent at the end of a years lease. I'm not sure that the neighborhood is worth the high cost of living here. If management comes up with creative options like they have been doing in the recent past I would seriously consider staying here. In that case I think I would feel comfortable unpacking my boxes and doing my place up how I want it. Here are some ideas to get you started should you choose to jazz your place up.
Only four stops and a short walk from the Gallery Place metro station is West Elm, the contemporary furniture store at 10th & G Streets NW. They have somewhat affordable contemporary design to suit the modern urban dwellers sensibility such as this $79 wrap dining chair at left.

Design Within Reach in both Adams Morgan and Cady's Alley in Georgetown also offers funky fittings for your flat.

Of course who doesn't have at least something from Ikea in their apartment? Ikea's super friendly pricing, contemporary design, easy pickup and simple assembly makes it a winner every time. There are Stores in College Park, Maryland and in Virginia. Bring a truck or a hatchback if you or a friend have one because you'll buy more that you planned on for sure.

In the pricier sphere are Urban Essentials on U street NW and Mitchell Gold on 14th street.

Whichever way you choose to make your apartment a "Home" is an individual and economic choice, whether you go the milk crate and wire spool route or craigslist I hope you have a have a happy, comfortable Home!



2 comments:

  1. Speaking of home, I just moved in a few months ago, but wondering how many residents go to baseball games? I figured I'd be a good neighbor and see if there was anyone interested in putting together a group perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay tuned to this blog for details on Nationals outings. Coming soon!

    ReplyDelete