Thursday, October 1, 2009

I'm really WANT to say nice things. Really I do.

Apparently an unhealthy trend has developed at J@CY.
One of the persons commenting on this very blog mentioned that they hadn't received their lease yet even after being at J@CY for many months. Well guess what? ME TOO! And guess what else? Several tenants in the building have told me the same thing!

What is up with that? I am becoming VERY suspicious of this trend. What are they up to? I'm sure whatever it is, it's not good. You had better believe I'm going to look into this further with a lawyer, or perhaps with the DC housing agency (Yeah I know. Good luck) or both. If there is a lawyer out there familiar with such practices I would appreciate your weighing in on this one. This is very strange.

I find myself asking this question. What advantage does the management gain by not having signed off on your lease? I have my ideas.
  • They can ask you to leave whenever they want?
  • They can raise the rent whenever they want?
  • You are a month to month tenant?
  • The terms that you and they agreed to are unenforceable?
  • They can deny you amenities
I'll keep you informed on what I find out about this. I don't like this one bit...No sir I don't like it!

In the meantime here are some helpful links.


6 comments:

  1. I asked for my lease just the other day and they scanned and emailed it to me - same day. I take responsibility for not receiving it earlier because I never asked - I just assumed they would slip it under my door one day...My experience with management has been largely pretty good and at least some of the complaints are because of people bitching but not asking for aid. For example, there are extra propane tanks - just ask and they will give the key! I have asked for an extra key, parking passes, and adding a pet to my lease, and each time management was responsive and friendly. I really believe some of it has to do with attitude. If you approach them politely and respectfully, you should expect the same treatment. Otherwise, you reap what you sow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna say this one time and one time only. If the leasing office wants to post on this blog, fine, just identify yourself as such. It's simple. Do your job. Do it well and people will have good things to say. Do it poorly and they will let you know. Don't blame your inadequacies on others. You know darn well that you just started the scanning option.
    Here is the way it's done. The tenant and leasing office agree to terms, a lease is signed by both parties and then each party gets a copy. Period.
    You guys have more excuses. Besides, what makes you think the folks involved weren't courteous?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you know that there's a non-handicapped member of the staff that barks her luxury vehicle in a handicapped parking spot? Betcha didn't....

    All things considered, this isn't a half-bad place...it's about 75% bad.

    Things have calmed down since this summer, and the maintence staff is TOP-NOTCH! I can't say enough nice things about them.

    I just wish that they'd reign in the dog situation (in the lease it says 25 pounds, that's obviously not being enforced) and give the dog owners somewhere to take their dog (ie: NOT THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING OR THE SAME BROWN SPOTS).

    Also, I'd love to see the graffitti panels removed from across the street, they look very tacky.

    Keep up the great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 75% ? LOL! That's an interesting sense of humor you got there, It gave me a chuckle.

    It would be nice if the city/absentee business owners put in a little dog park on one of these asphalt and weed wonderlands across the street.

    Has anyone seen the dog park at New Hampshire avenue and S street in Dupont Circle? It's great. It serves as a doggie playground and a meet and greet for the dog owners. I suppose it keeps the poop off of the front walks of a lot of places too. I guess there is a lot standing in the way of something like that happening here.

    As for the scofflaw in the Handicapped space? Caning? They better not be in my spot when I wheel my Rascal up to the building.

    I'm okay with the Graffitti, though this particular graffitti sucks somewhat. Everyone's an art critic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We moved into the Axiom next door (same management) in August, and have never received a copy of the lease. This is after calling several times, as well as personally asking a couple of times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This seems to be Standard Operational Procedure for this management company. It's elementary that once you sign a lease you should get a copy--at that moment!

    The fact that residents do not receive a copy of the lease at signing leads me to believe that this is purposefully how they do business.

    What are their motives?

    ReplyDelete