Wednesday, April 28, 2010

This broadcast is not available in your city!

A few people have written to me about the TV situation in the Jefferson's gym. It seems that there are only a limited number of channels on the screens these days. I haven't heard anything about management downgrading the cable feed, but it appears to be so. I've also heard that some of them are in need of repair. Is this also the case at the Axiom?

I can envision a couple of scenarios as to why this would happen, but I don't want to presume anything. In any event, this just happened out of the blue. Perhaps there is some explanation? Could it be an issue with the cable? Probably not, since we are getting some channels. My guess is cost. Can management clear this up?

It seems akin to the Starbuck's coffee machine situation in the lobby? Those of you that have been in the building for awhile will remember that one of the amenities the building offered was "Fresh Starbuck's Coffee" whenever you wanted it. In fact, the rental office had it brewing every morning to create a homey, welcoming feeling when you walked in the door--like the fresh baked cookies in the office. Very sophisticated marketing device!

I suppose the coffee machine got to be too expensive or too much trouble or both, because they soon began "running out" of cups, which were eventually pulled, then they began limiting the hours in which you could get coffee--then they pulled the Starbuck's and put in a generic. I did notice that it was always working and fully stocked with cups on the weekend, however--prime apartment shopping days!

In fairness, one thing I also noticed were some tenants coming down--mostly in their pajamas--to fill their Ginormous cups of coffee. It turned me off of the "free" coffee pretty quick when I had to wait behind someone filling their coffee bucket, only to have it run out. Who needs that? I'll brew my own. I think that is something that having cups with the machine might have discouraged.

Curiously, there have been a number of amenities that have been either pulled or truncated in the past year or so, that were originally part of the amenities "package" sold to us upon moving in. I think when management does these things they should tell the tenants. Maybe even pass some of those savings on to us! Still, some of the issues have been precipitated by thoughtless tenants such as; too many friends on the roof at all hours.

It's summertime!

The grills have been brought out onto the roof for the summer, but apparently they are in need of repair and and a good cleaning. I hope that management will repair and clean these before grilling season gets into full swing.

I'd like to also take this time to remind tenants to do their share and try and keep them clean as well. Maintenance isn't here to clean up after you like your mommy. Oh, and do share them too. Don't cook on them as if they were your backyard grill, hovering around them with a beer in your hand and endless burgers on the flame. There are others that would like to use them too. Seeing a party break out around the grill discourages others from wanting to use the grills. This is called "monopolizing." This was an issue with many tenants last summer who felt that the rooftop was being tacitly commandeered.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your post. I hope that the management office can fix both the cable situation in the gym and the grills on the rooftop. Having the cable down graded to only a few channels is not good and I hope they can return it to the regular programming they had before. Also, the grills on the rooftop need replacement. Seeing that they just brought out the old grills from last summer was dissapointing. Not only are they gross and dirty, they don't work very well, if at all. I remember last summer we would have to bring a pair of plyers with us when we wanted to grill out because the knobs were so stripped they wouldn't work. For how much we are all paying, you would think they could afford to buy a couple nice new grills every season...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple of comments I wanted to toss your way.

    My roommate and I went up to grill yesterday and I was appalled at the state of the grills. The burners are in such poor condition that it's a safety hazard. The bottom is completely rusted out on one of them and you've got open-flames shooting out of the burners. They need to spend the $1,000 to get some high-quality industril-type grills.

    I've wanted to bring this to management's attention, but other items I've asked about I've been given the 'company line'. That really, really bothers me. We're people, not numbers. We pay $2,000 a month to live here. If you don't care about the residents safety, well-being and happiness...then I think you're in the wrong business. Management, please don't respond with 'please bring it to our attention'. People have done that and you still do nothing..

    Secondly, I want to scold our fellow tennants for driving through the garage like maniacs. It's not a race track when your trying to drive up and down the ramps. Please turn your headlights on and proceed slowly with caution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was management with the tvs also until I realized that I have the same reception now on a TV in my place that does not have a digital box. I think it is actually a Comcast thing not a JPI/Greystar thing this time. I think something came out from Comcast a few months back that you had to have a box or you would lose alot of your channels. I think that is the issue since obviously the ones inthe gym are not getting a box per tv.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AN UPDATE: The rental office is currently working with Comcast on the TV situation in the gym. The TV's switched over to digital, which now makes them each require their own cable box. They are currently working on getting the problem resolved.

    ReplyDelete