Sunday, September 6, 2009

Half-assed street.com

The promise of www.halfstreet.com hasn't exactly come to fruition...in fact it looks dead on the vine. The neighborhood surrounding the Jefferson at Capitol Yards was slated as, and sold to tenants as, Washington's next up and coming neighborhood. With shopping, restaurants, clubs and other amenities planned to augment the "fervor" surrounding the new baseball park. (doesn't it look great? See picture) What actually exists here is one sleepy Starbucks, a Five Guys, McDonald's, CVS, and a Subway sandwich shop and oh, I shouldn't forget, a dry cleaners! Hardly the next "happening" destination.

So what's a tenant to do? Well the adjacent Capitol Hill area isn't that far away, but if you're looking to run out and buy a bottle of wine last minute for a dinner you're preparing, or if you need something from the hardware store or the corner grocery, well... you're S.O.L. because there aren't any of those options available to Capitol Yards.

While it seems that every corner in the rest of the city has a small grocery where you can pick up a needed item or two the property values at Capital Yards rose so quickly when the area was planned that a small grocery could have never survived in the neighborhood. I'm also afraid that the area is so "cloistered" that a small grocery might be a constant target for robbery.

Tenants signed a lease, at least I did, that is scheduled to balloon after a one year introductory period where the rent goes up and parking fees begin to be applied. I sincerely hope that the folks at JPI realize that what they have here is NOT worth a rise in rent and parking fees because there WILL be a mass exodus from the building. For what I would be paying at J@CY I could live in an actual neighborhood with people and stores and amenities. I ask the rhetorical question of the management; do you want to keep tenants in the building or do you want to scramble for new ones every year? Unfortunately, the way the management has dealt with the tenants, it doesn't look promising. I think the term clueless might come to mind.

If they are going to charge for parking in a neighborhood where a car is a necessity (and I moved here hoping not to use my car) then there should be some on street parking for those who opt out but there isn't much in the area and I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable parking my car here anyway. You're basically held hostage by the limitations of the "burgeoning" neighborhood. In fact the most industrious business in the neighborhood might be parking meter enforcement. Why are they even here?

I welcome your feedback or comments so post 'em if you got 'em
Try to keep it clean and well reasoned. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. There are way too many apartments/condos in this area for the amount of retail (or lack thereof). The demographics of those living here and mere existence of the Nationals Park justifies the existence of at least several bars in and around the Navy Yard metro: it need not be as over-the-top developed as Lansdowne St outside of Fenway in Boston, but *something* should be here. I hope that the developers building/thinking about building/renting property in this area realize this. It's a no brainer.

    The situation is frustrating, but I honestly don't think it's quite as dire as you suggest.

    - It is a 8 minute walk from J@CY to Bullfeathers and Tortilla Coast on the south end of Capitol Hill. Very managable.

    - There *is* a small store, a sort of mom-n-pop 7/11 with alcohol, in the area: Cornercopia on 3rd and K: easy walk from Jefferson. Their selection is a little bit limited right now. However, they do have a ) real food and b ) beer/wine/etc. The owner told me they opened about 3 weeks ago.

    - When I was apartment hunting in the area, the lady showing me a palce at Capitol Hill Tower said there is a good sit-down restaurant going in in one of the unoccupied retail spaces in the building: should pop up early next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous one! That's all good news.
    You are right. A walk to Cap Hill isn't too bad, and on a nice day it's quite pleasant, but it's not the same as having a little something in the hood. I would really love a convenience store with some basic items, beer, wine, etc. Roland's on Penn Ave. is a good example. Just someplace where I can get something quick without jumping in the car or making an investment in shoe leather!

    You are also correct about a bar near the ball park. What's up with that? That's integral to the experience. If there were a couple of sports bars near the park people would come to the game a little early, spend a little cash, maybe have a bite before being gouged at ballpark prices. See where I'm going? It's all interdependent.

    I'm going to check out Cornercopia and I'll look forward to the restaurant opening next year.

    Thanks again for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't need a car. The Safeway on M Street SW is walkable, as is the Harris Teeter in SE (it's a long walk, granted, but it is walkable). Both are also Metro accessible. And there's a liquor store on South Capitol. Not that I've ever been there, but it's there.

    I actually hope some of the empty lots turn into green space.

    I'm not saying I wouldn't welcome a few neighborhood joints, but in my five years living in DC, it's been common to my experience that the residential areas are frequently not super-close to recreational and retail areas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post Evelyn. Frankly I've been using the Metro to get to shopping because if you're walking from Waterfront or, God forbid, Harris Teeter I hope your load is light. I'm a "growing" blogger and I need my nourishment and I'm not ready for a "granny cart" yet. Walking from either of those directions with an arm load of bags could prove challenging--and belive me--I walk all over this city!

    I've lived in and around DC all my life (we won't go there) and I disagree with you about most areas not being near amenities. Logan Circle has P street and 14th street, Dupont has a Safeway on 17th street, Woodley Park, Friendship Heights have many amenities...most areas that have people have walk to shopping. Even Foggy Bottom has a Trader Joe's.

    I do remember when there was NO shopping in the District so it is infinitely better. We're just a bit on an island here. I realize that I chose to live here, but many unfulfilled promises were made concerning the neighborhood. It's not J@CY's fault but I am concerned that the rent will go up and the incentives will expire and all without any enhancement to our situation.

    ReplyDelete